in

Virgin Mary's House - Selçuk

Son Mesajınız Mon, Jan 19 2009 0:02 Levent Vardar tarafından gönderildi. 4 yanıt.
** Önceki Sonraki
Sun, Jan 18 2009 2:14
  • Levent Vardar
  • En popüler 25 katılımcı
    Bay
  • Üyelik Tarihi Thu, Feb 07 2008
  • Kuşadası (TR)
  • Mesajları 2,724
  • Toplam Puanı51,665
  • Bolge - Ege
Virgin Mary's House - Selçuk

Riding is Important as the Destination.

Many of us, riders, focus on the destination and miss the beautiful spots just a few miles off the road. 

Selcuk (Izmir) is one of the main passages for most riders riding to Southern Turkey just after Izmir. Virgin Mary's House, is located at Selcuk and no way you can miss this if you have a good vision and follow the brown traffic signs, ofcourse if you decide to get off the highway to Bodrum. After Izmir, leave the highway from Belevi, Selcuk exit and arrive Selcuk. Only a mile after you leave Selcuk towards Aydin, take the first right at the roundabout and this road will lead you to Bulbul Mountain where Virgin Mary's House is located.

I started my journey from Kusadasi where I live. It is only 16 kilometres to Selcuk. This is the picture of Bulbul Mountain from Kusadasi-Selcuk Road.

Actually right from this point there is an off-road path towards this hill but I didn't even try this time with this 230 kg machine and especially when I have no accompany with me today. Below is two of my photos taken in 2004, one with my ex-bike BMW 1150 GS Adv and the second with my daughter when we tried the same route (not ofcourse until the top as my 11 years old daughter was with me) with a rental ATV..

On the 6 km straight to Selcuk, I was stopped by Traffic Police. My immediate thought was "damn it, another speed trap I missed, meaning another new cheque".. This was the first time I met a speed trap on this road but the officer I chat said this is a routine check they do several days each week. So better be cautious and keep your vision high!. But the chat went through another BMW rider they met last week whose battery went off and the they helped for a tow. They thought it might be me, which obviously wasn't.

They required my bike's papers if it would not be too much trouble, and my license and the story ended with a cup of tea called from the nearby taxi booth and a "Thank You Mr. Vardar, have a nice journey" to my surprise without a cheque. I reall didn't bother to further questioning and went off immediately.

Meanwhile I continue shooting the road signs to give an idea to the riders taking this route to Virgin Mary's house..

As soon as you find the road to the House, you meet a nice 6 kilometer road climbing to the top of the Bulbul Mountain with beautiful bends and this is really a riders dream of roads with a nice grip. Here are some photos from up and down, a view of the beautiful bends from the Zumo screen and a view of Selcuk from the climbing.

This road up to Virgin Mary's House right inbetween the pine trees (would probably look better if it didn't suffer a great forest fire several years ago) will take you to a gate where you should stop and pay for the entrence as this area is a National Park region. Foreigners will pay 15 TL each for the entrence, but I didn't as I am the manager of a leading Travel Agent who sends more then 10.000 tourists to this place each year.

But after a while, as soon as I enter the area, I learn that this money collected at the gate goes directly to the Municipality of Selcuk and does not apply to the House at all from this sign..Like a joke..

Levent Vardar
Kuşadası
Keşfetmek için Sür..
Bu mesaji nasil buldun?
Fikrini belirttikten sonra baskalarinin ne düsündügünü sekli tikladiginda görebilirsin

• Mesaj Puanı : 5
  • Kayıt edildi
Sun, Jan 18 2009 2:33 Cevap
  • Levent Vardar
    Bay
  • Kuşadası (TR)
  • Mesajları 2,724
  • Toplam Puanı51,665
  • Bolge - Ege
Cevap :Virgin Mary's House - Selçuk

The belief that the Virgin Mary had spent her last days in the vicinity of Ephesus and that she had died there, focused attention on a nun named Anna Katherina Emmerich who had livid in the late 18th century (1774-1820). The efforts to find the house were greatly influenced by her detailed description of the Virgin Mary's coming to Ephesus, her life and her last home there and the characteristics of the city although she had never been to Ephesus.

Since Pope VI. Paul visited this place in 1967, at the 15th of august every yaer a speacial ceremony is held which attracts a lot of Christians from Turkey and from abroad. 

After you park your vehicle, you are met by the Gendarmerie's building who are especially here for safety and you enter this sacred place through their protection.

The first thing you see after you start walking through the road is this hole on the ground. As Jesus was baptized at the Jordan River with full running water, during the early Christians times it was accustomed to baptist at running water, and if you look carefully at the photo, through those pipes at the side walls of the hole, the mountains sacred water was filled and those who lived in the lower skirts of the mountain, at Ephesus were used to come here, ofcourse secretly, as they were not very welcomed at those early ages.

Then you walk through a path to the basilica erected for the memory of the Mary.. A statue of Mary with her soorowful face meets you there just before the chapel.

The Chapel, probably smaller than you would expect attracts a lot of tourist especially durin the summer at Sunday mass ceremonies. as the Chapel is too small to accept this much of tourists spending their holidays at nearby holiday resorts the ceremonies are held at an outdoor venue. You really can not imagine how may tourists we take here for Sunday Mass throughout the season.

Levent Vardar
Kuşadası
Keşfetmek için Sür..
Bu mesaji nasil buldun?
Fikrini belirttikten sonra baskalarinin ne düsündügünü sekli tikladiginda görebilirsin

• Mesaj Puanı : 20
  • Kayıt edildi
Sun, Jan 18 2009 21:05 Cevap
  • Cem YILDIZ
  • En popüler 10 katılımcı
  • Üyelik Tarihi Tue, Jan 08 2008
  • xxxanbul (TR)
  • Mesajları 30,086
  • Toplam Puanı559,182
  • Bolge - Marmara
    First Aid
    moto - KTM
    RT Destekleyenler
    TTSG

Great !  Preparing some reports in english is good investment for the future. Thank you Levent. Nice share Okkk

Yürümekle varılmaz, lakin varanlar yürüyenlerdir.

0532/0542 - 4886126
Bu mesaji nasil buldun?

• Mesaj Puanı : 20
  • Kayıt edildi
Sun, Jan 18 2009 23:46 Cevap
  • Levent Vardar
    Bay
  • Kuşadası (TR)
  • Mesajları 2,724
  • Toplam Puanı51,665
  • Bolge - Ege

and the Chapel..

Although I have been here many times, this was the first time to see a priest, who is taking care of his garden..

The bell is hang on a tree, and the Priest was also trying to give a shape to this tree as wellprobably for a better sound from the bell.

I entered the Chapl. But due to signs "No Photographyé I abviously respected and didn't take any photos inside. It definately has a Mystical atmosphere inside. Presents from earlier VIP visitors are everywhere including the one from the Pope himself. You feel like you are somewhere else..

You take a candle and put some contribution to the box. Although not a custom according tıo the in the Islamic belief, as this was a house of the God above, I believe, I also I did one and light a candle with a wish.

This is the end of the garden. You turn back through a lower path. You are met by a long, high wall full of hundred thousands of wishes left by the visitors. Everyone visited here left one, Turkish or Foreigners. I hope each every of their wished came alive.

As I mentioned earlier, the area is a National park and under full protection of the Government. Nature is beautiful. A few years ago, the forest fire, started around this area ruined all the environemnt, and ceased at a distance of a few yards to the Chapel. But looking around today, I see that nature healed herself very well in such a short time. 

Towards the exit (or the entrence) there is a cafetaria at your right and a souvenir shop on your left. Virgin Mary and Jesus statues, small items related to the Chapel, frescos are on sale. There are very nice items that you can buy with reasonable rates.

Smart. mixing Turkisk belief Evil's Eye with Virgin Mary..

Levent Vardar
Kuşadası
Keşfetmek için Sür..
Bu mesaji nasil buldun?

• Kayıt edildi
Mon, Jan 19 2009 0:02 Cevap
  • Levent Vardar
    Bay
  • Kuşadası (TR)
  • Mesajları 2,724
  • Toplam Puanı51,665
  • Bolge - Ege

Actually the area is pretty small. But if you come here with more spiritual thoughts and expectations it is not a matter to spend the whole day here.

I am off and  start the descending journey back home. I stop along the way to ake a photo of the road to Kusadasi, where I stopped at the beginning of my day to shoot Bulbul Mountain view.

This high and incredible statue actually meets you at your ascending to the mountain, but I decided to stop at my exit way. Mary facing Ephesus, the Odeon (where city authorities used to meet to take decisions) meets her visitors. 

and says Hello...

The Upper gate of Ephesus and the Odeon..

Do not focus on the destination only. If you really have a high vision, it is not possible to miss the brown signs spreaded almost every where here in Turkey. Because they will take you not onlty the sacred places like the House of Virgin Mary but to many other secrets of the this landscape. Do it.. You will never regret..

Ride to Explore..

This is my vide shooting whilst riding down from the House of Virgin mary, just to give you an idea about the road..

Levent Vardar
Kuşadası
Keşfetmek için Sür..
Bu mesaji nasil buldun?

• Kayıt edildi
( Toplam 5 Mesaj ) 1 Sayfadan 1 -
Kullanim sartlari, telif haklari ve çekinceler © RideTurkey.com 2007             Anasayfa Yukari  Riders Cafe  Aktiviteler  Atolye  Son Mesajlar  Favori Mesajlar